Saturday, October 30, 2010

The "Jolly Rogers" work: Hasegawa 1/72.

One of the oldest models you will see in Scaleworks. This was the first time I used photoetched parts (a Verlinden set) to detail a model , I also add some copper wire and some pieces or styrene in the landing gear. To recreate the moment of landing, the flaps and slats were cut to put them in landing position, the air brakes and arresting hook was extended and I also had to lengthen the hidraulic of the front landing gear to the completely extended position.
For the painting I used AeroMaster Acrylic paints. The "Jolly Rogers" decals are from Superscale and the lettering and stencils are Verlinden´s dry transfer. I used the Aero Detail #4 to know where to place all the stencils and for graphic reference. The panel lines were marked with a 0.5 HB sharp pencil.
The weathering is concentrated almost entirely on the underside (it also was the first time I weathered a model). At that time I made it with pastel powder, black, brown and ochre, applied dry for the blur effect and wet with water for the sharper marks. Currently I make this things with oil paints.
With this model I did several things for the first time, detailing, weathering, aftermarket decals... It is oldie but very dear to me because it was a great evolution for my way of making models.

Diego Quijano.

Friday, October 1, 2010

The “Wildcat/Martlet” work: Tamiya 1/48.

Prior to initial delivery to American forces, the Greek Purchasing Commission ordered 30 F4F-3As (Bu Nos 3875-3904) for their struggle against the Axis powers. These aircraft were en route to Greece at the time of their surrender in April of 1941. The British assumed the shipment and the aircraft were diverted for British Royal Navy use under designation Martlet Mk III. They were assigned to 805 and 806 Squadron of the Fleet Air Arm and served in the Egypt´s western desert. They were delivered in overall Light Gray and eventually they were repainted with Mid Stone upper surfaces and Azure Blue lower surfaces. Some aircraft also received Dark Earth on the upper surfaces.
I used the Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat and transformed it into a F4F-3A. The main transformation was to eliminate the wings folding joint and the external machine gun in each wing because the 3A version has fixed wings and only two .50 caliber in each wing. Other minor transformation was to add a lateral frame in the windshield, and one big ventilation flap in the cowling instead of the three flaps of the F4F-4
I used the Aires detail set for the Wildcat to detail the cockpit, gun bays and engine. The detailing of the engine was made with rods of styrene and stretched sprue, copper wire of several thickness and some patience. The camouflage was painted with Vallejo´s Model Air colors. The weathering was made airbrushing a lighter tone on each color and then some oil paint. On the wing roots I added some pigment to give a dusty look.

Diego Quijano.