Monday, June 27, 2011

The "Captured X-Wing" work: Fine Molds 1/72.

Another Star Wars work. Yep, I love this saga. The Fine Molds kit is excellent, so easy to assemble that I felt the necessity to add some detailing. The scratch job is mostly made with styrene pieces, as usual. Painted with Model Air acrylics, I pre-shaded before the white paint. The red markings were painted using masks instead of using the decals, I think paint them is easier. The panel lines were marked with a sliding pencil. I think that the trick for a nice finish of this kind of ships is to make a sharp profiling of the raised elements, this is especially important on the panel behind the R-2 unit, I used black oil paint diluted with enamel thinner for this task. I wanted to display the ship with the wings in attack position so I needed to build some jacks to support the ship. Probably the Rebels would have a better system to do the maintenance of the ships so this gave me the idea that this subject might be a captured fighter being examined in some imperial facility. I add an imperial pilot in the cockpit to enhance that idea though in some picture you may notice that he is kind of distracted.

If you want to know how to detail the damaged panels and electronic bays you can see a wonderful step by step guide of a similar model made by Volkan Emekli here.

Diego Quijano.

Monday, June 13, 2011

The "Persian Connection" work: Fujimi 1/48.

After the Anglo-Iraqi war in 1941 the Germans gave their military support to the Iraqis against the British. The Luftwaffe created the "Sonderkommando Junck" to oppose the RAF forces. The aircrafts carried Iraqi insignia but were flown and maintained by German crews. This subject is a Messerschmitt Bf 110 D3 assigned to the Sonderkommando Junck in 1941; the Iraqi insignias were painted over a layer of RLM 02 primer that was previously used to hide the German markings. The German camouflage remains the same including the shark mouth and yellow cowlings of the 4./ZG 76. This was a funny exercise of guerrilla modelling, almost OOB, besides the antenna wire I only added the panel lines and rivets in the wing zone between the engines and the main fuselage. The camo was painted with Tamiya and Gunze acrylics diluted with lacquer thinner. After the decals were applied I added a gentle weathering with blended oil paint and some post-shading effects with Tamiya Smoke. Finally I added small chips and scratches with crayon pencils.
A quick build of an interesting subject.

Diego Quijano.